Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: The Guildhall, St Peters Place, Canterbury

Contact: Maria Short, 01227 862 009, Email: democracy@canterbury.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

587.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors S Cook, Fitter-Harding, Glover and R Jones.

588.

Declarations of any interests by councillors or officers

Councillors are reminded that the code of conduct as set out in the constitution still applies at these meetings. This means you are required to make declarations relating disclosable pecuniary interests and other significant interests and that you should consider any other voluntary announcements you would like to make.

Minutes:

Councillor R Thomas made a voluntary announcement that he was a County Councillor but that shouldn’t preclude him from participating in the discussion on items where the County Council had been involved.

589.

Minutes of the meeting held on 12 November 2018 pdf icon PDF 86 KB

To confirm as a true record

Minutes:

The minutes were agreed as a true record.

590.

20 MPH Zones in Rural Villages pdf icon PDF 85 KB

To NOTE the report of the Director of Development

Minutes:

The Senior Transportation Officer introduced the report which detailed the process for implementing speed limits in rural areas.

 

The Forum discussed the matter and the Senior Transportation Officer gave clarification where necessary.  The following points were covered:

 

1.    Concerns were raised that due to national speed limits in rural villages activities, such as litter picks, were not possible due to safety concerns from the archaic limits. Officers confirmed that that some parishes didn’t want the street furniture that came with lower speed limits, however if these parishes had since changed their minds they could request KCC to investigate the matter again.

2.    It was confirmed that KALC had already been in conversation with KCC regarding lower speed limits in rural villages along the A257 and were awaiting a formal response. Once the response has been received, it would be fed back to the Rural Forum.

3.    Concerns were raised regarding the need for three tiers of councils to be in agreement before KCC would consider implementing lower speed limits in rural villages and that the city council didn’t have any jurisdiction over the matter.

4.    There was a report commissioned to examine the effectiveness of lower speed limits (Atkins 20mph Research Study) which indicates that they result in a small reduction in speed but that there are other methods to reduce speeding in villages other than implementing 20mph zones.

5.    A survey in Kingston showed that 91% of residents wanted a 20mph speed limit in the village.

6.    While 20mph zones may help improve safety, there has to be a way to enforce them otherwise they could be ignored. Educating people on speeding and how to help enforce the limits would be key to the success of these zones.

7.    Implementing 20mph zones is much harder if there is an ‘A’ road going through the village.

8.    Would it be possible to use some of the Opportunity Fund to invest in stickers for household bins to highlight to drivers to reduce their speed.

 

The report was noted by general assent by the Forum.

591.

Off Street Parking Order pdf icon PDF 87 KB

To CONSIDER the report of the Director of Development.

Minutes:

The Senior Transportation Officer introduced the report which detailed the proposed changes to the charges and conditions in the Council’s car parks. It was requested that the Forum consider the proposals and make any comments to the Policy &

 Resources Committee.

The forum discussed the matter and the Senior Transportation Officer gave clarification where needed.  The following points were covered:

 

1.    Some members of the Forum were under the impression that the parking charges had been frozen for a few years.  It was confirmed that in general an increase in parking charges in the city was not being proposed, but changes were proposed to the Whitefriars car park to align it with other city centre car parks and to set a linear tariff.

2.    It would be beneficial to investigate whether or not the park and ride sites could be made cheaper or free to increase their use and provide better parking opportunities to rural drivers.

3.    Members of the Forum confirmed that the park and ride service currently costs £3.50 per day per vehicle, which represents a significant discount on City centre parking.

4.    Investigations should be made into improving parking for parishes potentially by way of the park and ride sites. Officers confirmed that there would be a review of the parking strategy where this could be investigated, however the review would not be underway by the next meeting.

 

The Forum agreed by general assent for the points above to be fed back to the Policy & Resources Committee.

592.

Recycling Litter Bin Options pdf icon PDF 167 KB

To CONSIDER the report of the Strategic Contracts and Commissions Manager.

Minutes:

The Strategic Contracts and Commissions Manager introduced the report to the Forum which provided background to the item and detailed the costs associated with installing the recycling litter bins.


The Forum discussed the matter and the Strategic Contracts and Commissions Manager gave clarification where required.  The following points were covered:

1.    Concerns were raised that Serco may have been collecting commercial waste together with the litter bins.  Officers confirmed that if commercial waste was being left by litter bins and it was reported to the Enforcement Team they would be able to investigate the situation.

2.    Contamination of recycling waste is an issue for effective recycling and had high costs to deal with it.

3.    Education would be beneficial to prevent contamination of recycling waste bins.

 

The Forum agreed by general assent for the above points to be fed back to the Community Committee as part of the waste collection proposals for 2021 onwards.

593.

Issue of fly tipped waste on unadopted roads pdf icon PDF 69 KB

To note the report of the Strategic Contracts & Commissions Manager.

 

[Report to follow]

Minutes:

The Chairman introduced the item which was due to be heard by the Community Committee which was considered to be of interest to the Forum. The Strategic Contracts and Commissions Manager then introduced the report which reviews the current practice and provides an update, seeking views on whether the existing approach should change.

 

The Forum discussed the matter and the Strategic Contracts and Commissions Manager gave clarification where necessary.  The following points were covered:

 

1.    It would have been beneficial to know what percentage of roads in the district were unadopted.  Officers confirmed that whilst the figure was unknown, it was a rising figure due to the increasing number of housing developments not following the road adoption process.

2.    Concerns were raised regarding flytipping on public rights of way and what the process was for that scenario.  Officers confirmed that the Council were responsible for clearing flytipped waste from Council owned land and public highways but not private or other KCC owned land.

3.    There were financial implications on the basis of the Council’s rigid rules regarding flytipping clearance.

4.    Parish Council land should be treated as Council owned land.

 

It was agreed by the Forum by general assent that the above points would be fed back to the Community Committee.

594.

Opportunities Fund pdf icon PDF 76 KB

To consider the report of the Director of Community Services.

Additional documents:

Decision:

As there were a number of Councillors not in attendance, it was agreed that the discussion on the application would take place and that the Director of Community Services would seek feedback from all Councillors via email after the meeting, before making her decision.

Minutes:

As there were a number of Councillors not in attendance, it was agreed that the discussion on the application would take place and that the Director of Community Services would seek feedback from all Councillors via email after the meeting, before making her decision.

 

The Director of Community Services introduced the application for the refurbishment of the recreation ground pavilion facilities and the Forum discussed the matter.  The following points were covered:

 

1.    Concerns were raised regarding the summary of the application, given the emphasis on improving the facilities for disabled villagers in the summary yet the mention of a baby changing mat in the costs breakdown. It was confirmed by the applicant that the funding would be used to upgrade all the facilities at the pavilion.

2.    Baby changing facilities would be welcomed and could be seen as an accessibility issue if not provided.

 

The Director of Community Services then brought the alternative arrangements to the Opportunities fund to the Forum’s attention, confirming that from May 2019 there will be individual Councillor funds rather than a single fund.  With regards to the existing funds it was confirmed that due to the new funding arrangements starting in May, the remaining funds from the year 2018/19 together with the carried forward balance from the year 2017/18 need to be spent otherwise they would be allocated elsewhere. The specific criteria relating to the carry forward budget from 2017/18 would be removed to facilitate this.

 

A discussion would be held in the March meeting regarding the remaining balance of the fund. It was agreed that an application for funding for a rural crime prevention project would be put forward - and the Director of Community Services said that additional applications would also be very welcome.

595.

Future Items

Items currently listed for the March Meeting

 

·         Annual Parking Review

·         Parking Enforcement

·         Forum Review discussion

 

Other items requested yet to be allocated to a meeting

 

·         Referral of Planning Applications to the Planning Committee

·         Concurrent Functions Funding – future plans

·         Buses & Community Transport – invitation to Stagecoach

·         Outcome of KCC conversation regarding Rural Bus Services

·         Invitation to ACRE

·         Planning : Community Infrastructure Levy

·         Prospective Parish Councillor Event - KALC

 

Minutes:

The Chairman introduced the future items and the Forum discussed the matter.  The following points were covered:

 

1.    The possibility of a non-member being Chairman of the Rural Forum.  It was confirmed that an item regarding the review of the forum arrangements would be going to the next meeting and that item would be most appropriate to raise this item.

2.    The possibility of adding the KALC prospective Parish Councillor Event to the next meeting agenda, to ensure it would be heard before the elections in May 2019.

3.    A member of the public raised the idea of a joint meeting of the Rural and Canterbury Forums to discuss the buses and community transport and rural bus services together with the bus station capacity requested by the Canterbury Forum, thereby inviting Stagecoach to only attend one meeting as well as extending an invitation to Regent who operate some bus services in rural areas. It was confirmed that the review of forum arrangements due at the next meeting of the Rural Forum would be most appropriate time to raise the idea of joint meetings.

4.    Following the discussion of 20mph speed limits in rural areas, the formal response from KCC to KALC should be added to the future items and monitoring sheet.

 

The Forum noted the future items by general assent.

596.

Monitoring Sheet pdf icon PDF 47 KB

The attached list indicates the current position regarding previous decisions of the Forum.

 

Minutes:

The Director of Community Services introduced the monitoring sheet to the Forum and confirmed that she would be writing to the Parish Councils regarding the new arrangements for enforcement in rural areas to gauge the interest in the proposal and whether it would be viable.

 

The Forum noted the monitoring sheet by general assent.

 

597.

Date of next meeting

7pm, 11 March 2019 at The Guildhall, St Peter’s Place, Canterbury

Minutes:

7pm on Monday, 11 March 2019 at The Guildhall, St Peters Place, Canterbury CT1 2DB

598.

Any other urgent business to be heard in public

Minutes:

There was no other business to be heard in public.

599.

Any other urgent business to be heard following the exclusion of the press and public

It will be necessary to pass a resolution to exclude the press and public before business can be taken under this item.

Minutes:

There was no other urgent business to be heard following the exclusion of the press and public.